COURSES 2nd SEMESTER

Examenroosters, algemene discussies, ...

Moderator: Praesidium

kristaang

COURSES 2nd SEMESTER

Post#1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi,

I am erasmus student, I need to add one or two courses this semester, I can choose courses in bachelor or master, don't mind the level and the kind (optional or not), because is to use like an optional course in my own university.
I have already had two optional courses, Fysica and Formal techniques in Software Engineering, I don't know if these are difficult or not, but now I would like to add some easy courses, without a lot of assignments or strict exam.

I hope you can help me,
Regards,
Ángela

[I repeat this post..I know, but the last time I could read two replies and when I wanted to write again, this forum was 'kapot'. Now it is working again, but my post doesn't exist]

Joachimvdh
Prosenior

Re: COURSES 2nd SEMESTER

Post#2 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:02 pm

Hi Angela, Happy you found your way back, our apologies for the sudden forum crash :s

Fysica (or physics) is basically a rehearsal of what students in belgium see in secondary school. The lectures are given together with the biologists and it I think it's quite easy. The exam (both theory and exercises) are multiple choice. It used to have assignments but I think those are now gone?

Formal techniques in software engineering consists of two parts: a first part that covers Petri Nets given by professor Janssens, a second part by professor Demeyer covers papers that are discussing MDE (model driven engineering). The course has a project as well, namely implementing a java virtual machine using AGG (some graph rewrite modeling tool)
The exam consists of answering some petri nets questions and discuss the papers. It has a project so it has some deadlines (although you can do most things in class).

At least, that is what it was when I did them.

(btw, nice to see that you found your way to the computational course optimalization techniques ;) )

Fristi
WOZ

Post#3 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:21 pm

Joachimvdh wrote: Fysica (or physics) is basically a rehearsal of what students in belgium see in secondary school. It is given together with biology and it I think it's quite easy. The exam (both theory and exercises) are multiple choice. It used to have assignments but I think those are now gone?
As I recall, they are still present, but optional.
Fristi Ad Infinitum

WINAK WOZ 2013 - ...
WINAK Magister Fristi 2012-2013
WINAK Feest 2011-2012
WINAK Schachtentemmer 2010-2011
WINAK Scriptor 2008-2009 | 2009-2010

BFC
WOZ

Post#4 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:32 pm

Fristi wrote:
Joachimvdh wrote: Fysica (or physics) is basically a rehearsal of what students in belgium see in secondary school. It is given together with biology and it I think it's quite easy. The exam (both theory and exercises) are multiple choice. It used to have assignments but I think those are now gone?
As I recall, they are still present, but optional.
They are! Been to the introductory class today and Computer Science students have 3 options: make no additional assignments, or buy the book PHYSICS by Walker and make assignments for a total of 2 (50 questions) or 4 points (100 questions). Joke (the professor) hasn't elaborated on this yet, but I heard from students passing this class that it's advisory to make the 4 points assignments! It's makes this course "a walk in the park", since you train your skills rather good doing it!
Last edited by Fristi on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected a typo
I'm not random, you just can't think as fast as me

Fristi
WOZ

Post#5 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:19 pm

BFC wrote: They are! Been to the introductory class today and Computer Science students have 3 options: make no additional assignments, or buy the book PHYSICS by Walker and make assignments for a total of 2 (50 questions) or 4 points (100 questions). Joke (the professor) hasn't elaborated on this yet, but I heard from students passing this class that it's advisory to make the 4 points assignments! It's makes this course "a walk in the park", since you train your skills rather good doing it!
Yeah, it does make the course easier.
Fristi Ad Infinitum

WINAK WOZ 2013 - ...
WINAK Feest 2011-2012

kristaang

Post#6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:48 pm

Thank you very much ;)

Physics I 've already talked to Joke and I knew it, I think it will be easy.
Joachim , then , Formal techniques in software engineering is a little bit difficult?or at least with a lot of work?
Ah, and are you also in optimalization techniques, aren't you? I'll meet you finally hehe

Well, what about to add new courses in my learning? another one like 'a walk in the park'? or anything medium-easy?

Joachimvdh
Prosenior

Post#7 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:32 am

formal techniques is in the beginning a brainfuck... it's about building software models rather than coding them. Petri nets is not so hard (although professor Janssens tends to ask questions at the exam that are complex just to test how much insight you have). The VM project starts somewhere in week 6 usually and is in the beginning a steep learning curve because the program (AGG) has it's weird behaviour. After a while this becomes easier and in the end I was proud to have a sort of Java VM that could simulate the execution of small java programs.

I'm indeed following optimalisation techniques ;)

On the topic of adding courses I have no idea, Fristi, should it be done by SiSA? Or Blackboard?

Fristi
WOZ

Post#8 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:35 am

Joachimvdh wrote:
On the topic of adding courses I have no idea, Fristi, should it be done by SiSA? Or Blackboard?
She just wants suggestions for other courses to follow :P.
Fristi Ad Infinitum

WINAK WOZ 2013 - ...
WINAK Feest 2011-2012

Joachimvdh
Prosenior

Post#9 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:46 am

pff :s I guess I'm still asleep :)

Walk in the park? Network protocols, write a paper of 5 pages with 2 people and present it. 6 credits ;)

Glenn

Post#10 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:11 am

What kind of courses do you like? Do you want only English courses or also Dutch courses? Physics is in Dutch I suppose.

kristaang

Post#11 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:33 am

hehe Fristi was right.
Joachim good explanation ;)
Glenn, you are right, Physics is in Dutch, but I can do most of Dutch courses, just do the assignments and exam in English. Of course is better for me in English because I can go to class.
Kind of courses maybe something about mathematics or databases.

What can you tell me about the next courses?
Image Processing
Elementary Statistics
Stochastic Modellingtechniques
Current trends in databases

Thank you :)

Joachimvdh
Prosenior

Post#12 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:45 pm

I only took Image processing: it's an interesting course, but it has a mathematical approach. First two lectures are entirely on fourier transformation, convolution and some more required concepts. After you understand that, the rest is relatively easy.

Return to “Algemeen”